Ok, so I know that being healthy is always a number one priority, but I am good at splurging when it comes to food! Tonight, I splurged but in a semi healthy way with this lasagna roll up recipe. I saw a version of this on pinterest and on the back of the lasagna box but never read either recipe, only looked at pictures, haha!
What I used:
Whole wheat lasagna noodles (only cook as many noodles as you will use)
Small curd cottage cheese (instead of ricotta, it’s just a preference over ricotta) (used about a half a cup or less)
Fresh mozzarella (chopped) (used half for inside mixture and the other half for the toping)
A good block of parmesan cheese (grated)
Fresh spinach (I used an entire container)
Tomatoes (on the vine)
Fresh garlic (4 or 5 big cloves)
- Chop tomatoes and garlic and place on a baking sheet and toss with some olive oil, basil and oregano. Roast in the oven at 350 for about 20 to 30 minutes. (I wished I had some fresh herbs but all I had was dried)
1. Wilt spinach with one clove of garlic and a little water and mix with mozzarella, parmesan and cottage cheese. I mushed everything together and let the cheese melt some from the hot wilted spinach. (Season with salt and pepper to taste)
2. Spread spinach mixture onto noodles and carefully roll up and repeat
3. Place in casserole dish
4. Puree roasted tomatoes and roasted garlic and pour onto lasagna rolls
5. Add the rest of the mozzarella and parmesan and bake uncovered for about 45-60 minutes, depending on your oven.
I served with some crusty bread and a healthy green salad! It was pretty good! I never measure anything so just eye it, it will work out!