When it comes to cooking, I usually play it safe and go with the normal grilled chicken and veggies or one of my staples like lasagna but every now and then I like to cook outside the box and try something new. It’s hard for me to follow through on a recipe in its entirety so I usually end up reading three or four and choose my favorite elements from each to create something unique. That is exactly how I came up with my latest dish, Quinoa fried “rice.” It actually turned out really good and I am quite satisfied with it.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup water
1 cup coconut milk (I used canned)
½ chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
Chopped mushrooms, broccoli and frozen peas
Soy sauce to taste (I used about 3 tablespoons)
A couple dashes of fish sauce
I would have maybe used some fresh cilantro and some ginger but I didn’t have any
1. In a sauce pan mix water, coconut milk and quinoa together, bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes.
2. Chop onions and garlic and sauté in a pan with oil for about 3 minutes.
3. Add broccoli, mushrooms, soy and fish sauce and cook for about 10 minutes more. Put veggie mixture aside.
4. Scramble some egg whites in the pan (I used about 1/3 a cup or so)
5. Add quinoa, cooked veggies and frozen peas the scramble and let cook until peas are cooked throughout. ( I actually made a hole in the quinoa and added some more egg whites and mixed it in until it was fully cooked, it was a great binder and a next time that is how ill do it from the start)
6. Add salt and pepper to taste and add your fresh herbs in now.
Overall it was really good. Next time ill add fresh cilantro and maybe pineapple and some shrimp, yum! It’s a must try. You got to love quinoa, its super healthy and full of protein. Now I’ve got healthy lunch on the go all week. If you try it out let me know how it works and let me know any good variations you used! Happy cooking, and eating.